First up, we talked to the one and only Garry Gray. He and his band, Garry Gray and the Six Circle have a new record out and are doing a show next month at the Factory Theatre.
Second up, PJ Orr was playing live in the studio and talking to us about his new LP Foggy Notion and he has some live shows coming up.
Third up, we talked to Canadian bluesman Matt Andersen. We’ve been playing his album Honest Man and he’s touring in December.
Fourth up, Valerie van de Panne was on the line from Boston giving us updates on the unreality of the US presidential election as it gets closer to the big day.
All this, plus new stuff from Jim Dickson (yes, he of the New Christs and Birdman) and Shonen Knife.
- Shonen Knife – Rock ‘n’ roll t-shirt
- Garry Gray and the Sixth Circle – Cadillacs
- Garry Gray and the Sixth Circle – Eight miles high
- Garry Gray and the Sixth Circle – 8 Dragons
- PJ Orr – ????
- Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band – Her eyes are a blue million miles
- The War on Drugs – Comin’ Through
- PJ Orr – Olympics
- PJ Orr – Risk
- PJ Orr – Father Time
- Matt Andersen – Who are you listening to?
- Matt Andersen – Break Away
- Jim Dickson – Lysanne
Tonight on Virtual Unreality we had a little tribute to Peter Lillee who passed away four years ago this week by replaying when he was in the studio in June 2012 playing with Paul Hayward.
Plus, we checked out the new record from former Sacred Cowboy Garry Gray.
Plus! Chuck Berry turned 90 during the week, so we looked at the incredible influence that man has had on rock ‘n’ roll. Can you imagine modern music without him?
- Peter Lillie – They built the ute
- The Autodrifters – Big Jim
- Peter Lillie – Suburban Blonde
- Peter Lillie – Dangerman Theme
- Peter Lillie – Bad Wire
- Peter Lillie – Brand New Appliance
- Peter Lillie – Hangin’ round the house
- Garry Gray & the Sixth Circle – Our God Hangs # 6
- Garry Gray & the Sixth CirclePeter Lillie – Diamond in the forehead
- Chuck Berry – Come on
- The Rolling Stones – Come on
- Chuck Berry – Back in the USA
- MC5 – Back in the USA
- Chuck Berry – Maybellene
- Ted Nugent’s Amboy Dukes – Maybelline
- Chuck Berry – Sweet Little Sixteen
- Sonic’s Rendezvous – Sweet Little Sixteen
- Chuck Berry – Too much monkey business
- The New York Dolls – Too much junkie business
- Chuck Berry – Roll over Beethoven
- Mountain – Roll over Beethoven
- Chuck Berry – Johnny B Goode
- Coloured Balls – Johnny B Goode
- Chuck Berry – You never can tell
- Daddy Cool – You never can tell
- Al Caiola – Memphis Tennessee
Tonight on Virtual Unreality we have the wonderful Selin and Hadrian from Sydney band Napoleonic as our copilots and playing live in the studio.
- The Cruel Sea – Better get a lawyer
- Napoleonic – Go away
- Dimi Dero Inc – I washed your windows clean
- Julien Dore – Kiss me forever
- Napoleonic – Ghosts
- Napoleonic – All I need is you (live)
- Napoleonic – It’s over baby
- Luke – La Sentinelle
- 69 BC – Lawyer up
- Jesus Volt – Do the cornbread
- Napoleonic – The world is a better place
- Doris Day – Perhaps, perhaps
- Napoleonic – Somebody to love
Beth Hart was on the the line from LA to tell us about her album, Fire on the Floor. She’ll be here for Bluesfest next year. No sideshows as yet, but fingers crossed.
And we’re all over the new LP from Deniz Tek, so expect a few tracks from that, plus lots of other stuff, some new, some not so new.
- Janis Joplin – Try
- Beth Hart – Jazz Man
- Beth Hart – Love is a lie
- Beth Hart – No place like home
- Ivor S.K. – Help Poor Me
- Young Docteurs – Birdland
- Six Ft Hick – Sweating out the sin
- Jen Mize – Warnings & Wisdom
- Glad & Dave’s Dirt Band – The Road
- On the Stoop – Penguins
- Tin Pan Orange – Love is a Dog
- D Henry Fenton and the Elizabethans – Promised Land
- Dusty Ravens – Patience
- Deniz Tek – Prison Mouse
- Deniz Tek – Corner Conversation
- Fingermae – GG
- Lazy Colts – 22
- Napoleanic – Ghosts
- Ned Alphabet – On that train and gone
- Rowland S. Howard – Ocean
Claude Hay was in the studio playing tracks of his new album and having a chat.
Some new releases followed and the we caught up Boston-based journo Valerie Van De Panne on the latest in the US presidential race.
1 Talk to the hand by Claude Hay
2 Black Night by Deep Purple
3 Never say good bye by Claude Hay
4 Lazaretto by Jack White
5 Forget about me by Claude Hay
6 Love no more by Claude Hay
7 Fortunate Son by Creedence Clearwater Revival
8 I put a spell on you (Screaming Jay Hawkins) by Claude Hay
9 I work for the bad guys by Fingermae
10 Promised Land by D Henry Fenton and the Elizabethans
11 Novelty by She’s the Driver
12 Deep water by Jen Mize
13 Defy the Black Night by On the Stoop
14 Tom Violence by Sonic Youth
15 Too many memories by The Fleshtones
16 Nocturne by Robyn Hitchcock
17 Sometimes I wish was a pretty girl by Robyn Hitchcock
18 Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat by Bob Dylan
19 Blue Rickenbacker by The Minus Five
Three members of Sydney bluegrass outfit Willing Ponies plus Jac and Nick from Melbourne band Amarillo performed live in the studio.
1 You’ll go your way and I’ll go mine by Bob Dylan
2 Pocket the black by Lazy Eye
3 I don’t write no sad songs by Texas Tea
4 Magnolia by Willing Ponies
5 Sin City (Flying Burritos cover) by Willing Ponies
6 unknown by Willing Ponies
7 Any way by Amarillo
8 All I can see by Amarillo
9 Life is song by Amarillo
10 unknown by The Drones
11 unknown by Amarillo
No studio guests tonight, so we just played some tracks. Valerie van de Panne joined us from Boston with the latest in the US presidential election race.
- Spencer P Jones – When I write my book
- Jeremy and the Harlequins – Drinkin’ by myself
- Jeremy and the Harlequins – Critical condition
- Robyn Hitchcock and Emma Swift – Motion Pictures
- Throwing Muses – Smoky Hands
- Throwing Muses – Morning birds
- Kristin Hersch – Clay feet
- Look Park – Stars of New York
- The Minus 5 – Michael Nesmith
- The Minus 5 – Song for Peter Tork
- Amarillo – All I can see
- The Velvet Underground – Sweet Jane
- Jackie Mittoo – Stormy Night
- Im and David – Soul Walk
- Felice Brothers – Diamond Bell
- Rory Gallagher – Laundromat
- The Carmets – Jambalaya
- The Carpenters – Jambalaya
- Bob Dylan – Leopard Skin Pill Box hat