Tonight on Virtual Unreality our studio guest was Byron-based singer-songwriter Leeli.
We also talked to Simon Rigoni from Melbourne-based band 2 Inch Tape about what they’ve up since we spoke to them last year. They have a new single out now and a new album is on the way.
And Valerie Van De Panne was on the line from Boston with what’s happening over yonder in the land of El Trumpo.
- 2 Inch Tape – Automaton Girl
- 2 Inch Tape – Tortured Soul
- Leeli – Into the dark
- Robben Ford – Indianola
- Leeli – Heartbreak (live)
- Jordy Lane – Feet fall
- Bob Dylan – Lay, Lady, Lay
- Leeli – Into the dark (live)
- Neil Young – The needle and the damage done
- Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young – Woodstock
- Leeli – Wonderwall (live)
- Willie Nelson – The scientist
- Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Snoop Dog and Jamey Johnson – Roll me up
- Frank Zappa and the Mothers – Cheepnis
Serge and Matt from Sydney hard-to-pigeon-hole band On the Stoop were in the studio chewing the fat and programming an hour of the show.
Dom Mariani (DM3, The Stems) was on the line from Freo to tell us about the new Dataru 4 album “Hairy Mountain”. It’s a ripper, BTW.
Sally and Jackie from Sydney band Fingermae played live in the studio.
- Datura 4 – Fool’s Gold Rush
- Datura 4 – Confide in me
- On the Stoop – The butt naked ladies
- Mark Simmonds – The spotted dog
- Bob Log III – Look at that
- Nadya Giga 101 Candles Orchestra – Da Zna Zora
- On the Stoop – Theme song
- Datura 4 – Mary Caroll Park
- Datura 4 – Hairy Mountain
- Fingermae – I work for the bad guys
- Sally and Jackie (Fingermae) – The beast of her loins
- Sally and Jackie (Fingermae) – Derivative P.O.S.
- Fingermae – JACWAG
We talked to Canberra-based girl band Glitoris about their new EP and their upcoming gig next month.
Then, we were joined in the studio by Evan and Erica from Adelaide blues band Lazy Eye. They played live too!
We caught up with the wonderful Valerie Van de Panne about how the dust is settling on the carcass of the US presidential election.
- Garry Gray & the Sixth Circle – Our God Hangs #6
- Leadfinger – Older and Wiser
- Chickenstones – Johnny Streetlight
- Glitoris – Disgrace
- Glitoris – Pole
- Lazy Eye – Pocket the black
- Booker T & the MGs – Mo’ onions
- Lazy Eye – Black Hill (live)
- Boogaloo Joe Jones – Right Now
- Lazy Eye – Back the way I came
- Lazy Eye – Treat you lover right (live)
- Jimmy McGriff – All About My Girl
- Jimmy Smith – Back At The Chicken Shack
- Deep Purple – Space Truckin’
- On the Stoop – Defy the black night
We talked to Evan the keyboard player from Adelaide blues band Lazy Eye about their new album and some dates they’ll be doing here later in the month.
Then, we had Sydney band Zeahorse in programming the show and telling us all about them.
- Lazy eye – Keepin’ from lovin’
- Lazy eye – Treat your lover right
- HTRK – Ha
- Rowland S Howard – I know a girl called Johnny
- Cosmic Psychos – Nice day to go the pub
- Jaguar Ma – Give me a reason
- Mustang Jerx – C that my grave is kept
- The Laurels – Black Cathedral
- White Dog – Hard for you
- Zeahorse – Chicken Dinner
- The Drones – Boredom
- Neil Young & Crazy Horse – Fucking Up
- DEAD – Rush Burials
- Narrowlands – Whores rule
James Dickson was our copilot on tonight’s Virtual Unreality. He has finally put out a début album (true!) and he was programming the show. Jim has an encyclopaedic music brain so it was a ripper.
Plus! Valerie kept her promise to be up at sparrow’s her time to give us one last rundown of the train wreck of the US presidential election.
Listen to part 1
- Lipstick Killers – Hindu Gods of Love
- Flaming Lips – Life on Mars
- Zeahorse – Torana
- Jim Dickson – Eternal Reward
- Jim Dickson – Billet Doux
- The Kinks – 20th Century Man
- Procul Harem – Nothing but the truth
- Wilson Pickett – Hey Jude
Listen to part 2
- Jim Dickson – We know how you feel… Relax!
- Pink Floyd – Obscured by clouds
- Jim Dickson – Gravity
- Bob Dylan – The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest
- Aretha Franklin – Ramblin’
- Jim Dickson – Every old dog has his day
First up, we talked to the one and only Garry Gray. He and his band, Garry Gray and the Six Circle have a new record out and are doing a show next month at the Factory Theatre.
Second up, PJ Orr was playing live in the studio and talking to us about his new LP Foggy Notion and he has some live shows coming up.
Third up, we talked to Canadian bluesman Matt Andersen. We’ve been playing his album Honest Man and he’s touring in December.
Fourth up, Valerie van de Panne was on the line from Boston giving us updates on the unreality of the US presidential election as it gets closer to the big day.
All this, plus new stuff from Jim Dickson (yes, he of the New Christs and Birdman) and Shonen Knife.
- Shonen Knife – Rock ‘n’ roll t-shirt
- Garry Gray and the Sixth Circle – Cadillacs
- Garry Gray and the Sixth Circle – Eight miles high
- Garry Gray and the Sixth Circle – 8 Dragons
- PJ Orr – ????
- Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band – Her eyes are a blue million miles
- The War on Drugs – Comin’ Through
- PJ Orr – Olympics
- PJ Orr – Risk
- PJ Orr – Father Time
- Matt Andersen – Who are you listening to?
- Matt Andersen – Break Away
- Jim Dickson – Lysanne
Tonight on Virtual Unreality we had a little tribute to Peter Lillee who passed away four years ago this week by replaying when he was in the studio in June 2012 playing with Paul Hayward.
Plus, we checked out the new record from former Sacred Cowboy Garry Gray.
Plus! Chuck Berry turned 90 during the week, so we looked at the incredible influence that man has had on rock ‘n’ roll. Can you imagine modern music without him?
- Peter Lillie – They built the ute
- The Autodrifters – Big Jim
- Peter Lillie – Suburban Blonde
- Peter Lillie – Dangerman Theme
- Peter Lillie – Bad Wire
- Peter Lillie – Brand New Appliance
- Peter Lillie – Hangin’ round the house
- Garry Gray & the Sixth Circle – Our God Hangs # 6
- Garry Gray & the Sixth CirclePeter Lillie – Diamond in the forehead
- Chuck Berry – Come on
- The Rolling Stones – Come on
- Chuck Berry – Back in the USA
- MC5 – Back in the USA
- Chuck Berry – Maybellene
- Ted Nugent’s Amboy Dukes – Maybelline
- Chuck Berry – Sweet Little Sixteen
- Sonic’s Rendezvous – Sweet Little Sixteen
- Chuck Berry – Too much monkey business
- The New York Dolls – Too much junkie business
- Chuck Berry – Roll over Beethoven
- Mountain – Roll over Beethoven
- Chuck Berry – Johnny B Goode
- Coloured Balls – Johnny B Goode
- Chuck Berry – You never can tell
- Daddy Cool – You never can tell
- Al Caiola – Memphis Tennessee
Tonight on Virtual Unreality we have the wonderful Selin and Hadrian from Sydney band Napoleonic as our copilots and playing live in the studio.
- The Cruel Sea – Better get a lawyer
- Napoleonic – Go away
- Dimi Dero Inc – I washed your windows clean
- Julien Dore – Kiss me forever
- Napoleonic – Ghosts
- Napoleonic – All I need is you (live)
- Napoleonic – It’s over baby
- Luke – La Sentinelle
- 69 BC – Lawyer up
- Jesus Volt – Do the cornbread
- Napoleonic – The world is a better place
- Doris Day – Perhaps, perhaps
- Napoleonic – Somebody to love
Beth Hart was on the the line from LA to tell us about her album, Fire on the Floor. She’ll be here for Bluesfest next year. No sideshows as yet, but fingers crossed.
And we’re all over the new LP from Deniz Tek, so expect a few tracks from that, plus lots of other stuff, some new, some not so new.
- Janis Joplin – Try
- Beth Hart – Jazz Man
- Beth Hart – Love is a lie
- Beth Hart – No place like home
- Ivor S.K. – Help Poor Me
- Young Docteurs – Birdland
- Six Ft Hick – Sweating out the sin
- Jen Mize – Warnings & Wisdom
- Glad & Dave’s Dirt Band – The Road
- On the Stoop – Penguins
- Tin Pan Orange – Love is a Dog
- D Henry Fenton and the Elizabethans – Promised Land
- Dusty Ravens – Patience
- Deniz Tek – Prison Mouse
- Deniz Tek – Corner Conversation
- Fingermae – GG
- Lazy Colts – 22
- Napoleanic – Ghosts
- Ned Alphabet – On that train and gone
- Rowland S. Howard – Ocean
Claude Hay was in the studio playing tracks of his new album and having a chat.
Some new releases followed and the we caught up Boston-based journo Valerie Van De Panne on the latest in the US presidential race.
1 Talk to the hand by Claude Hay
2 Black Night by Deep Purple
3 Never say good bye by Claude Hay
4 Lazaretto by Jack White
5 Forget about me by Claude Hay
6 Love no more by Claude Hay
7 Fortunate Son by Creedence Clearwater Revival
8 I put a spell on you (Screaming Jay Hawkins) by Claude Hay
9 I work for the bad guys by Fingermae
10 Promised Land by D Henry Fenton and the Elizabethans
11 Novelty by She’s the Driver
12 Deep water by Jen Mize
13 Defy the Black Night by On the Stoop
14 Tom Violence by Sonic Youth
15 Too many memories by The Fleshtones
16 Nocturne by Robyn Hitchcock
17 Sometimes I wish was a pretty girl by Robyn Hitchcock
18 Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat by Bob Dylan
19 Blue Rickenbacker by The Minus Five