We had new music from the Clouds and Waxworks plus some other new releases that have found their into the play list over recent weeks.
And Valerie was on the line from Boston to help us make sense of the (un)reality TV show beaming from the White House.
Listen to hour 1
- Waxworks – Monkey Pot
- The Clouds – Hieronymus
- The Clouds – House of the Sun
- The Clouds – Float On Air
- Waxworks – Prat
- Waxworks – War
- The Baitones – Deep Swamp my Mobile
- The Baitones – So Insane
- Tony Joe White – Alligator Mississippi
- Tony Joe White – Who You Gonna Hoodoo Now
- Chuck Prophet – Coming out in code
- Chuck Prophet – Killing Machine
- Eric Gales – Carry Yourself
Listen to hour 2
- Liam Gerner and the Sunset Pushers – Buddhist girl in a baptist town
- Tim Hulsman – Lap dog
- Datura 4 – Greedy World
- Liz Phair – Fuck and run
- Peter Black – Cherry light
- Forest Pooky – Shining gold
- Celibate Rifles – Salute
- Ian Hunter – Words (Big Mouth)
On a night that it may have been too damn hot, we had the solution. Grab a bevvie, turn on a device and listen to Virtual Unreality.
First up – part 2 of our chat with Dustin Arbuckle of power blues trio Moreland and Arbuckle.
Second up – We talk to Tift Merrit about her new record “Stitch of the World”.
Third up – we talk to Chuck Prophet about his new record “Bobby Fuller Died for You Sins”.
Plus we have some new releases.
List to part 1
- Chad Morgan – Shotgun wedding
- Moreland and Arbuckle – Mean And Evil
- Moreland and Arbuckle – Woman Down In Arkansas
- Muddy Waters – Mannish Boy
- Tum Hulsmen -Be loved!
- Liam Gerner and the Sunset Pushers – This land don’t want us
- Eric Gales – Good time
- Eric Gales – Boogie Man
List to part 2
- Tift Merritt – Love Soldiers on
- Tift Merritt – Heartache Is an Uphill Climb
- Tift Merritt – Stitch of the World
- Robby Keating – Shellshocked
List to part 3
- Chuck Prophet – Museum of Broken Hearts
- Chuck Prophet – Sonny Liston’s Blues
- Chuck Prophet – Post-War Cinematic Dead Man Blues
- Chuck Prophet – Bad year for rock and roll
- Chuck Prophet – In the mausoleum (for Alan Vega)
Tonight on Virtual Unreality, our studio guest was the wonderful Em George. One of her songs, The Grind, has had over 200,000 downloads in Europe. How cool is that!
Plus we had part one of our chat with harmonica player Dustin Arbuckle from Kansas-bases power blues trio Moreland and Arbuckle.
And after a weird week in Australian-American relations, Valerie van de Panne joined from Boston to help us try make sense of it.
Listen to hour 1
- Hellacopters – Hopeless case of a kid in denial
- Moreland & Arbuckle – Long Did I Hide It
- Moreland & Arbuckle – I’m A King Bee
- Em George – The Grind
- Angel Olsen – Shut up and kiss me
- Iggy Pop – Candy
- Pearls – Big shot
- Em George – America (live)
Listen to hour 2
- Em Goerge – Paper hearts
- Neil Young – Old Man
- Em George – Please and pain (Divinyls cover) (live)
- Alabama Shalkes – Always alright
- Russell Morris – Mr America
- Maggie Rogers – Dog years
- Em George – Run
We kicked off with part 2 of our chat with up and coming UK guitar hotshot Aaron Keylock.
Our studio guest was Jeff Sullivan from the Flaming Hands.
We spoke to Peter Black about the legendary Song a Day project.
Listen to part 1 – Aaron Keylock, Jeff Sullivan
- Car Sick Cars – 15 Minutes older
- Aaron Keylock – Down
- Aaron Keylock – Medicine man
- The On and Ons – Rockin’ with the beat
- Flaming Hands – Don’t go or stay
- Flaming Hands – Sacrifice
Listen to part 2 – Peter Black
- Peter Black – Cherry Ripe
- Peter Black – When no one else can see
- Hard ons – Girl in the sweater
- Forest Pooky – I’ve been kidnapped by aliens
- Sunny Boys – Discipline
We kicked off the show with part one of chat with 19 year old English guitar hotshot Aaron Keylock.
Our studio guests were three of the peeps from Sydney band My Perfect Sunday.
- Aaron Keylock – All the right moves
- Aaron Keylock – Just one question
- My Perfect Sunday – Caffeine, Honey
- The Baldwins – Goldbrick
- London Grammar – Rooting for you
- Guai Li – The Model
- Freya – Pride
- My Perfect Sunday – Night owls
- Fox Holmes – Signs
- Horror my friend – DIYS
- Psythanic ? – unknown
- Tired Lion – Agoraphobia
- West, Bruce & Laing – The Doctor
2016 saw a number of important musicians leave this planet of perpetual sorrow. We pay tribute to some of them tonight, including:
- Alan Vega (Suicide)
- Brian Rading (Five Man Electrical Band)
- Dale Griffin (Mott the Hoople)
- David Bowie
- Frank Sinatra Jr (was a guest on Was (not Was) “What up dog?”)
- George Martin (producing Jeff Beck)
- Keith Emerson
- Leon Russell (with Joe Cocker)
- Lonnie Mack (with the Doors)
- Merle Haggard
- Mose Allison
- Paul Kantner (Jefferson Airplane)
- Ross Hannaford and Wayne Duncan (Daddy Cool)
- Scotty Moore (with Elvis)
- Hugh Macdonald (Redgum)
- Al Caiola
- Muhammad Ali (yes, we know he wasn’t musician, but he was pretty spesh)
Listen to part 1
- David Bowie – Sound and Vision
- David Bowie – D.J.
- Jefferson Airplane – Today
- Jefferson Airplane – D.C.B.A.-25
- Daddy Cool – Eagle Rock
- Daddy Cool – 60 Minute Man
- Jeff Beck – You Know What I Mean (for George Martin – he produced Blow by Blow)
- Jeff Beck – She’s A Woman (ditto)
- Was (not Was) – Wedding Vows in Vegas (Frank Sinatra Jr on lead vox)
- Mott the Hoople – All the young dudes
- Mott the Hoople – Walking With A Mountain
- Emerson Lake and Palmer – Nutrocker
Listen to part 2
- Willie Nelson & Merle Haggard – A Horse Called Music
- The Doors – Roadhouse Blues (Lonnie Mack on bass)
- Five Man Electrical Band – Absolutely Right
- Five Man Electrical Band – Signs
- Johnny Wakelin – The Black Superman
- Suicide – Keep Your Dreams
- Suicide – Rocket USA
- Elvis Presley – Baby Let’s Play House (featuring Scotty Moore)
- Elvis Presley – Mystery Train (ditto)
- Mose Alison – Parchman Farm
- Redgum – The Diamantina Drover
- Joe Cocker – Cry me a river (features Leon Russell)
- Al Caiola – Hound Dog
- Daddy Cool – Lollipop
- Mott the Hoople – Rest in peace
Tonight on Virtual Unreality we played some old stuff just because we can and some the best of 2017.
Boston-based journo Valerie van de Panne joined us after 21:30 to fill us in on the weird post election world.
- The Rolling Stones – Monkey man
- Ted Nugent’s Amboy Dukes – Great white buffalo
- ZZ Top – Waiting for the bus
- Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band – Dropout Boogie
- Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band – Big Eyed Beans From Venus
- The I don’t cares – I’m back
- The I don’t cares – Sorry For Tomorrow Night
- Iggy Pop – Break into your heart
- Iggy Pop – Gardenia
- Tony Joe White – Hoochie Woman
- Tony Joe White – Rain crow
- Tracy McNeil and the Goodlife – Paradise
- Tracy McNeil and the Goodlife – Thieves
- Sean McMahon and The Moonmen – House Of Mirrors
- Sean McMahon and The Moonmen – Broken Hill
- Glad & Dave’s Dirt Band – The Road
- On the stoop – Defy the black night
- On the stoop – Penguins
- Peter Tosh – Legalise it
Tonight on Virtual Unreality we had author Murray Bennett, author of Product 45 Australian Punk / Post Punk Record Covers. He was programming the show and he brought in some deadset gems.
Plus guest interviewer Ned Alphabet helped us out as we talked to Vedran from Dubioza Kolektiv. They’re from Bosnia and Herzegovina and they’re playing at the Factory on xmas eve.
Plus we have our regular chat with Boston-based journo Valerie Van De Panne with the latest from Planet Trump.
- Otis Redding – Shake
- The Last Words – Animal world
- The Go Betweens – Pople Say
- The Riptides – 77 Sunset strip
- Essendon Airport – Anne Cessna
- The Passengers – Face with no name
- The Singles – Love of love
- Babeez – Nobody Loves Me
- News – Dirty Lies
- Dubioza kolektiv – No escape from Balkan
- Dubioza kolektiv – Free MP3
- Thought Criminals – Hilton Bomber
- Tactics – Standing By The Window
- The Victims – Television Addict
Tonight on Virtual Unreality our studio guest was Byron-based singer-songwriter Leeli.
We also talked to Simon Rigoni from Melbourne-based band 2 Inch Tape about what they’ve up since we spoke to them last year. They have a new single out now and a new album is on the way.
And Valerie Van De Panne was on the line from Boston with what’s happening over yonder in the land of El Trumpo.
- 2 Inch Tape – Automaton Girl
- 2 Inch Tape – Tortured Soul
- Leeli – Into the dark
- Robben Ford – Indianola
- Leeli – Heartbreak (live)
- Jordy Lane – Feet fall
- Bob Dylan – Lay, Lady, Lay
- Leeli – Into the dark (live)
- Neil Young – The needle and the damage done
- Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young – Woodstock
- Leeli – Wonderwall (live)
- Willie Nelson – The scientist
- Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Snoop Dog and Jamey Johnson – Roll me up
- Frank Zappa and the Mothers – Cheepnis